Saturday 17 November 2018

Letter to a soldier by Joshua D


Walter Dewey
Private 17966
2nd Battalion
Bedfordshire Regiment

Dear Mr Dewey
I am your great-great grandson and my grandad, Roger Dewey, has been telling me all about you. I know you volunteered in November 1914 and after completing a period of training at Felixstowe was later drafted to the Western Front. I imagine that you were sad to leave your family at home and especially your wife and 5 children, who were under the age on 10. I am writing to thank you for fighting for our country during the First World War. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like if everyone didn’t fight and the Germans won the war.
I know that after only 8 days active service you were killed in the La Bassée sector on the 16th June 1915. Despite having no formal grave, you are commemorated on three war memorials, at each of Somersham, Witchford and the Le Touret in Pas de Calais, France. My grandad and dad have both been to one of the war memorials in France where you are commemorated. One day I would like to go with my dad and see where your name is. Our family will never forget that you bravely gave your life for the country.
Yours sincerely
Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment