Sunday 2 December 2018

Martens' Diary by Bradley

Dear diary,
Today, my grandfather told me a story about my great-grandmother (Marie) getting married to my great-grandfather (Pete) let me tell you how it went. Marie was out in town, shopping, until she noticed a service at the Menin gates. There were people playing the bugle, surrounding her.
Beside all the soldiers, a man, a soldier- reciting the poem that Marie had on her wall since she was a girl. The poem read:

In Flanders fields the poppies grow,
Between the crosses row on row
And in the sky, the larks
Still bravely singing,
Fly Scarce heard admits the guns below.

Short days ago,
We lived, felt down, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved,
And now we lie in Flanders.

After the service, Marie started to head home, until suddenly the Tommy reciting the poem ran over and asked, "How do you know the poem? You were saying it at the same time as me?”
“I met the person who wrote it and now I know it off by heart,” she slowly replied. Before they knew it they were sharing a drink at the town cafĂ©. Chatting. Chatting a lot.
The two started to feel a lot closer as time went on and Marie told him about how she got the poem in the first place. She took him to her house - where the poem sat and before they knew it they were husband and wife.
So that’s the story about my great grandparents, Marie and Pete, let's hope grandpa tells us another inspirational story tomorrow…


No comments:

Post a Comment