Friday 23 February 2018

Michael's Midnight Mission by Clara

As fast as lightning, I sat up, sweating. What happened in that dream? I remembered the baby… and blackbirds. Suddenly, I realised I had a mission… a mission I had to do. For a couple of minutes, I listened to Dad’s soft snoring and the baby’s hissy breathing. Dreading getting out from my warm duvet, I stuck a foot out of bed. My room was freezing cold! Taking a deep breath, I kicked the covers off and had to stifle a scream. The cold trickled down my back like running water. While my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I searched the room for my oak wardrobe. Once I had discovered it among the murky gloom of midnight, I grabbed whatever my hands could find. Luckily, it was a woolly jumper, tracksuit bottoms and a bobble hat. After dressing as silently as I could, I snatched my wiry, ancient slippers to wear on my feet. I inched slowly to my bedroom door. I hoped the baby didn’t wake up, or I would be in BIG trouble. I crept along the corridor, until CREAK! I had forgotten about the groaning floorboard. Mum muttered in her sleep, and I froze. I dropped to the ground and crawled the rest of the journey to the bathroom.
In the bathroom, everything was pitch black. I switched on the lights and started looking through the cupboards, desperately trying to find aspirin. Eventually, I found the small, white bottle. Despite there being twenty pills in the bottle, I decided to take them all just to be sure. Tiptoeing to the top of the patched-up staircase, I took a deep breath. This was by far the most exciting (and equally nerve-wracking) thing I had ever done in my life. As I descended the staircase, my pockets jingled because of the aspirin. “Was it really a good idea to take all the aspirin?” I thought. At the bottom of the stairs, I thanked my lucky stars I had gotten this far. Creeping to the kitchen, it suddenly dawned on me that I didn’t know where the keys were. No! Now I would have to blunder around looking for the keys for who knows how long. Thankfully, the keys were by the stove in the kitchen. Fearful of what was to come; I shoved the keys into the door, twisted them around and opened the door…
Stepping out into the messy overgrowth my parents called a garden, I soon spotted a monstrosity of a building looming over the estate: the garage. Beautiful stars glittered in the sky; moonlight paved the way along a long, winding path to the garage with a secret. To my right, 27 and 53 were lying in a bag on the bin. The char sui was really sticky, red and cold (it was so disgusting). Tipping the spring rolls in with the char sui, I grabbed the tray and continued my journey. My clothes were tugged at by brambles, I must be careful. What would Mum and Dad think if my tracksuit had holes in it? Before I knew it, I was outside the door of this stranger’s makeshift home. Should I do this- I don’t know…
Standing with my hand on the garage door’s handle, I contemplated my decisions. Is this dangerous? The stranger won’t even be pleased. Why am I risking getting into trouble for some old ‘person’ I don’t even know? And now I have wrecked my favourite clothes on brambles. Afraid, I pushed the one-hinged door open...

No comments:

Post a Comment