Saturday 30 June 2018

William and Zach’s adventure by Millie


“Didn’t you enjoy the picnic Will?”
“Well yeah, didn’t you?”
“Yeah.” There were a few seconds of still silence, not a word. Then Zach thought of something. “Want to hear an idea?”
“Wot is it?” William stood there impatient. “Let’s hear it then.”
“I could show you around the village?”
“How? My legs would fall off.”
“We could go get Mrs Fletcher’s boys’ bikes?”
“Alright.” William stood there with a nervous smile. The problem was he couldn’t ride a bike and was too scared to own up that he couldn’t.

They started to walk back to the village, and they soon got back. The rough stones were crunching beneath their feet. They saw Mr Tom’s house and started to walk over. “Let’s go to Mr Tom’s.”
“Why? Aren’t we going to get the bikes?”
“Yeah we’re getting the bikes, but I need to ask him if I’m allowed.”
“Be quick please?”
“I’ll try.” William started to run to Mr Tom’s and skidding around corners. He got to Mr Tom’s house and opened the door. “Mr Tom?” No reply. William started to look around the house trying to find him, and Sammy was nowhere to be seen either. “Mr Tom?” He went and looked in the back yard and found him working on the trench with Sammy by his side. “Mr Tom.” He turned around to face William and Sammy’s head poked up. “Wot you want?”
“Is it ok if me and Zach go get some bikes and look around the village?”
“As long as yer back here before it’s dark.”
“I promise.”
“Ok, and whose bikes are yer using?”
“Mrs Fletcher’s boys’.”
“Ok, but no need askin’ me, go ask er.” After hearing that William sped off to get back to Zach.

“You took your time,” said Zach with a smile.
“Yeah, sorry. I couldn’t find Mr Tom at first.”
“Well can you go on the bikes?”
“Yep.”
“Let’s go then.” William had a nervous feeling in his stomach. It wasn’t a happy nervous, but a scared nervous. It felt painful and it hurt, William put on an act for Zach though that he was ok. While William was feeling this, there was a tense silence.

At one-point Zach saw William nervous, and felt nervous for him. He didn’t know if he was sick, hurt, had a head ache, he just felt nervous for him. “Will, are you ok?”
William looked up at him. “Um, yeah, never been better.”
“Are you sure?”
There was no reply from him. William gave out a sigh. He looked at him, and started to cry. “Will? Are you ok?”
Zach stood there surprised. William sat on the floor. Zach knelt on the floor beside him. “Tell me, what’s wrong?”
“I-I didn’t wa-want you-you to know-ow.”
“Know what?”
“I-I can’t ride-ride a bike.” There was silence and only William’s crying could be heard. William wiped his eyes. He looked at Zach, and he was still surprised and in shock. “Why didn’t you tell me?”
“I thought it would make you sad because we couldn’t go on a bike ride. I also thought you knew…” Zach helped William up and held his shoulders. “You could of just told me.”
“I know it sounds stupid, but I was scared to.” They started to walk over to Mrs Fletcher’s house and they started to move a bit faster.

Eventually they got to Mrs Fletcher’s house and they went a knocked on the door. “Want me to ask if we can use the bikes?” Asked Zach. William gave a nod and wiped his eyes. “Hello boys, what do you want?” She said with a smile and in a cheerful voice. “Please can we borrow the bike?”
“Of course you can, just one rule.” William and Zach looked at each other. “You must bring them back before it’s dark. If you don’t you can’t use them again.”
“We’ll remember that, won’t we Will.” A polite, quite nod came from him. “Ok, just remember the rue though.” They both nodded and smiled. “They’re just around there.” And she pointed around the corner. “Thank you.” Said William. Mrs Fletcher smiled and waved goodbye. “You’re welcome.”

William and Zach got around the corner and started to choose a bike. Soon enough they both got a bike, fit for their size. “Now I just need to teach you how to ride a bike.” They walked the bikes over to an open space, and started to practice. “Remember to keep your balance!” After an hour or two of William trying to ride a bike, he finally got the hang of it and could ride a bike. “Can you turn, or steer?”  William looked confused. “No?”
“Oh. All you’ve got to do it turn the handles in the direction you want to go. Say you want to go left you turn the handles left, and if you want to go right, you turn the handles right.”
“Sounds easy.”
“It isn’t. Trust me, but you can practice.”
After ten minutes, William could turn the bike.
“I can do it Zach!”
“Yes, yes, well done.” Zach said with a chuckle. “Let’s look around then, Will”
“Yep.”

After they were done looking around, they found a bench and they sat down, leaving the bikes beside them on the floor. “I’m so tired.” William said with a yawn.
“Me too.” And Zach looked at William. “Let’s take the bikes back?”
“Sure. Would you be able to walk me back after? I’ll end up falling asleep in the middle of the path.”
“Of course I will.” They returned the bikes and Mrs Fletcher said thank you and how they returned them on time.

“Will, stop.”
“What? I’m too tired, let’s just go back.”
“No, look.”
“A man, cool. Let’s go.”
“He just looks different though.”


No comments:

Post a Comment