Sunday 19 November 2017

Lexi's review of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland, which is written in the third person, tells the surreal tale of a girl named Alice (the main character) falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar creatures in which she finds many friends. As events unfold, each more bizarre than the next, Alice begins to realize there is more to people than it may seem. When faced with insanity, can Alice stay true to herself and remain 'normal'?

In the story Alice considered herself to be the only 'ordinary' character out of the many creatures/people she meets over a time period of a day. Time and time again during the story you see Alice stay with her own firm opinions, even though Wonderland would make me question myself about my beliefs. Reading this book, I felt excited and a bit scared, however it was so interesting I had to finish it. I found the Mad Hatter the most interesting because there was so much about him the author didn’t explain and I wanted to know more. I liked the fact it didn’t make very much sense as things didn't really follow on from each other.

I loved the setting and how mysterious the White Rabbit and Wonderland are. My favourite part of the story was when Alice grew and shrunk after eating and drinking a magical cake and potion because it is so unusual and dreamlike. I wonder what Lewis Carroll's inspiration for this story was? I would definitely recommend this book as it was a great read and led me to find out all kinds of new vocabulary I could use in my writing. Next, I want to read more about Alice's adventures in 'Alice Through the Looking Glass'.

No comments:

Post a Comment