Sunday 2 December 2018

Martens' Diary by Harley


Dear Diary,
                    Today, I got out of bed hoping for a tasty breakfast. As I was travelling down the stairs I could smell: eggs, baked beans, bacon and fried bread (tasty). I sat at my table and then grandpa exclaimed, “I have a surprise for you!”
I replied with, “Is it a fried breakfast?”
“Yep just how you like it.”
I was now eating a fried breakfast and my grandpa came in to sit at the table. When he sat down he was starting to tell me a story about Marie - I had never heard the story before but it sounded interesting - so I listened.
Grandpa told me that Marie used to be a little girl your age and she sold eggs to an Essex Farm. He went on to say - one day when Marie was selling eggs she came across a man sitting on a chair with is notebook on his lap so Marie shouted, “Eggs Tommy!” (the only words she knew in English). The first time she shouted the man didn’t hear so she repeated and the second time the man tared a piece of paper out of his notebook and threw it into a nearby puddle. Grandpa says Marie picks up the paper and the man just lets her take it (I didn’t believe that part). Grandpa goes on to say that Marie took it home not recognising it had a world-famous poem on it and as soon as she got home she put it on her wall (she touched it just thinking every day for luck).
I went on that day just thinking how my grandma met one of the most famous writers in the world, John McCrae. That night I could hardly sleep (Marie didn’t even know his name.) because Marie had a big chance of actually knowing one of the most famous writers in the whole world.
From that day forward, whoever I met I had to ask for their names. That was one of the best stories I had ever heard through my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment