Sunday 2 December 2018

Martens' Diary by Ruby


Dear diary,
Today grandpa told me about my first ever Christmas. I almost cried because Christmas was the day when my papa died. Grandpa told me he went out in the morning fog and heard men’s voices but when he walked towards them he found they had gone. After that mum made papa a nice hot drink papa hopped on his tractor and went to plough the poppy field. Grandpa said, “I watched him drive into the mist and that was the last time I saw him again.” As for me I was fast asleep inside the house I didn’t find out my papa had died until I was older, I guess I was too young to understand then.
I wish I could have met my papa but nothing can stop the shell that killed him. Yes, a shell killed my papa he drove over a shell (from world war one) and boom he was dead. It was so sad, my mum and grandpa never set foot in that field again they were too scared to.
I always go past that poppy field on my bike and I think about my papa as I cycle past. I hope grandpa will tell me another story soon. Grandpa does tell me another story I will make sure I write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment